The purpose of the Clinical Leadership Award is to nationally recognize a member of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN) for outstanding professional achievement and leadership within the medical-surgical clinical setting.
The award acknowledges a registered nurse whose leadership qualities emulate the highest of professional standards and have improved the image and practice of medical-surgical nursing. The leader exhibits exceptional compassion and commitment to patients, colleagues, and the profession of medical-surgical nursing.
To be eligible for this award:
- The Nominee must:
- Be a registered nurse (RN)
- Be a member of AMSN for one year by nomination date
- Have a minimum of five years of experience in medical-surgical nursing
- The Nominee demonstrates outstanding leadership by:
- Developing innovative approaches that contribute to the improvement of the quality of nursing care
- Promoting the specialty of medical-surgical nursing
- Demonstrating leadership skills in the clinical setting
- Facilitating change
- Participating in practice standard development and/or decision-making processes within their organization that influence positive outcomes for the patient (e.g. committee membership, policy and procedure design)
- Utilizing research for the enhancement of patient care
- The Nominee may be in a clinical nurse, educator, manager, or administrator role, providing they meet the definition of one whose leadership qualities emulate the highest of professional standards and have improved the practice of medical-surgical nursing.
- Current members of the Board of Directors of AMSN, current members of the Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board, members of the Scholarship & Awards Committee, and staff are not eligible for this award.
Nomination & Award Information
Submission and Deadline
Nominations for the Clinical Leadership Award must be received in the AMSN National Office between January 1 and April 15 annually. Submissions received after the nomination deadline will not be considered. Nominators and the winning Nominee will be notified by June 6.
Application submission for the Clinical Leadership Award is now closed.
- The Nominee must be nominated by a nursing colleague or nursing supervisor (the Nominator).
- The Nominator should provide information supporting the nomination relating to specific criteria for the award.
- All nominations must be submitted electronically through the Survey Monkey nomination application form (available during application period).
- The Nominee’s name should appear in the Nomination Information Section of this application form only. Identification of the Nominee in the body of the material submitted may result in disqualification of the nomination.
- All information will remain confidential.
- Selection is based solely on the information submitted.
- The nomination form should be completed citing examples of the Nominee’s qualifications. Excerpts from the statements will be read when the award is presented at the AMSN Annual Convention.
- The award recipient and all Nominators will be notified by June 6.
- The award recipient will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at convention.
This Award is sponsored through an Educational Grant by Philips Healthcare and will be presented at the AMSN National Convention. The recipient will receive:
- An inscribed, commemorative crystal award
- Non-transferable complimentary convention registration (only if attending convention)
- A $1,500 grant to be used for expenses to attend the convention (only if attending convention)
Award Recipient Selection
Nominations completed by April 15 will undergo blinded review by the AMSN Scholarship & Awards Committee using established scoring tools. The recipient will be notified by the Chairperson of that committee, and a written letter will follow from the President of AMSN.
Number of Awards
One Clinical Leadership Award may be presented each year only when a Nominee meets the award criteria. If there are no Nominees meeting the criteria, the award will not be presented.
View past Clinical Leadership Award recipients.