The purpose of the Clinical Leadership Award is to nationally recognize a member of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN) for outstanding professional achievement and leadership within the medical-surgical clinical setting.
The award acknowledges a registered nurse whose leadership qualities emulate the highest of professional standards and have improved the image and practice of medical-surgical nursing. The leader exhibits exceptional compassion and commitment to patients, colleagues, and the profession of medical-surgical nursing.
To be eligible for this award:
- The candidate must:
- Be a registered nurse (RN)
- Be a current AMSN member in good standing
- Have a minimum of five years experience in medical-surgical nursing
- The candidate demonstrates outstanding leadership by:
- Developing innovative approaches that contribute to the improvement of the quality of nursing care
- Promoting the specialty of medical-surgical nursing
- Demonstrating leadership skills in the clinical setting
- Facilitating change
- Participating in practice standard development and/or decision-making processes within their organization that influence positive outcomes for the patient (e.g. committee membership, policy and procedure design)
- Utilizing research for the enhancement of patient care
- The candidate may be in a staff nurse, educator, manager, or administrator role, providing they meet the definition of one whose leadership qualities emulate the highest of professional standards and have improved the practice of medical-surgical nursing.
- Current members of the Board of Directors of AMSN, current members of the Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board, members of the Scholarship & Awards Committee, and staff are not eligible for this award.
Nomination & Award Information
Submission and Deadline
Nominations for Clinical Leadership Award must be received in the AMSN National Office between February 7 and May 15 annually. Submissions received after the nomination deadline will not be considered. Nominators and Nominees are notified by July 30.
Application submissions for the Clinical Leadership Award are closed.The instructions are as follows:
- The candidate may be self-nominated or may be nominated by a nursing colleague or nursing supervisor.
- The nominator should provide information supporting the nomination relating to specific criteria for the award.
- All submissions must be submitted electronically using the tool provided.
- The nominee’s name must NOT be identified in the body of material submitted. Identification of the nominee in the body of the material submitted may result in disqualification of the nomination.
- Multiple nominations for one candidate may be submitted, but are not required. All nominations must be submitted using the provided electronic nomination form. All information will remain confidential.
- Selection is based solely on the information submitted.
- Complete the nomination form citing examples of the candidate’s qualifications. Excerpts from the statements will be read when the award is presented at the AMSN Annual Convention.
- The award recipient and nominator(s) will be notified around July 15.
- The award recipient will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at convention.
This Award is sponsored through an Educational Grant by Philips Healthcare
- A non-transferable complimentary convention registration
- $1,000 grant to be used for expenses to attend the convention
- An inscribed commemorative item
Award Recipient Selection
Nominations completed by May 15 will undergo blinded review by the AMSN Scholarship & Awards Committee using established scoring tools. The recipient will be notified by the President of AMSN, and a written letter will follow.
Number of Awards
One Clinical Practice Award may be presented each year only when a nominee meets the award criteria. If there are no nominees meeting the criteria, the award will not be presented.
View past Clinical Leadership Award recipients.