The purpose of the Clinical Practice Award is to nationally recognize a member of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN) for outstanding professional achievement and contributions as a medical-surgical registered nurse.
The award acknowledges a registered nurse who demonstrates a high level of skill in the direct care of the medical-surgical patient and has improved the image and clinical practice of bedside med-surg nursing.
To be eligible for this award:
- The Nominee must:
- Be a registered nurse (RN)
- Be a member of AMSN for one year by nomination date
- Have at least three years of experience in the field of medical-surgical nursing
- The Nominee’s primary role as a medical-surgical nurse includes, but is not confined to, provision of direct patient care.
- The Nominee must serve as a role model to nursing colleagues by:
- Demonstrating a high level of skill in the care of the medical-surgical patient
- Implementing ongoing clinical inquiry, questioning, and evaluating practice, in order to promote the best patient outcome
- Utilizing creative techniques to facilitate learning
- Creating a caring practice, responding to the uniqueness of the patient/family in a manner that creates a compassionate and therapeutic environment
- Demonstrating the ability to make sound clinical decisions
- Promoting collaboration through intra-and interdisciplinary work with all colleagues to achieve optimal and realistic patient goals
- Current members of the Board of Directors of AMSN, current members of the Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board, members of the Scholarship & Awards Committee, and staff are not eligible for this award
Nomination & Award Information
Submission and Deadline
Nominations for the Clinical Practice Award must be received in the AMSN National Office between January 1 and April 15 annually. Submissions received after the nomination deadline will not be considered. Nominators and the winning Nominee will be notified by June 20.
Application submission for the Clinical Practice Award is now open. Click to apply.
- The Nominee must be nominated by a nursing colleague or nursing supervisor (the Nominator).
- The Nominator should provide information supporting the nomination relating to specific criteria for the award.
- All nominations must be submitted electronically through the Survey Monkey nomination application form (available during application period).
- The Nominee's name should appear in the Nominee Information Section of this application form only. Identification of the Nominee in the body of the material submitted may result in disqualification of the nomination.
- All information will remain confidential.
- Selection is based solely on the information submitted.
- The nomination form should be completed citing examples of the Nominee’s qualifications. Excerpts from the statements will be read when the award is presented at the AMSN Annual Convention.
- The award recipient and all Nominators will be notified by June 20.
- The award recipient will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at convention.
This Award is sponsored through an educational grant by Anthony J. Jannetti and will be presented at the AMSN Annual Convention. The recipient will receive:
- An inscribed, commemorative crystal award
- Non-transferable complimentary convention registration (only if attending convention)
- A $1,500 grant to be used for expenses to attend the convention (only if attending convention)
Award Recipient Selection
Nominations completed by April 15 will undergo blinded review by the AMSN Scholarship & Awards Committee using established scoring tools. The recipient will be notified by the Chairperson of that committee, and a written letter will follow from the President of AMSN.
Number of Awards
One Clinical Practice Award may be presented each year only when a Nominee meets the award criteria. If there are no Nominees meeting the criteria, the award will not be presented.
View past Clinical Practice Award recipients.